Passing the Power.     Giving someone the Power of Attorney     and the Power to Care.   Estate Planning  Bramwell Find out more about the power to care. Arrange a free appointment    01772 367900 Book Now! Estate Planning  Bramwell
Bramwell Estate Planning is an appointed representative of New Leaf (WWF) Ltd.
 © 2013
Estate Planning  Bramwell
Company Reg. 7891401. Registered Office: Princess Caroline House, 1 High St., Ist Flr, Southend on Sea, SS1 1JE.
Website design and build by  email: tel: 07540153976
1. Can an Attorney be an overseas family member or friend? YES, the Donor (the person making the LPA) can appoint anybody they choose so long as they are over 18, of sound mind and not a bankrupt. 2. My mother is physically unable to sign an LPA, what can we do? If your mother (the Donor) is unable to sign but fully understands the significance of her actions it is possible to complete appropriate documentation that would allow the lead Attorney to sign on her behalf. 3. How long does it take to register an LPA? The timescale for submitting the completed LPA application forms through to the return of the registered LPA documentation takes approximately 9 (nine) weeks. 4. My father has lost mental capacity and hasn’t made an LPA, what can we do? It would be necessary to apply to the courts (Court of Protection) asking them to appoint a Deputy who can make decisions on your father’s behalf. A Deputy is usually a family member or close friend. If there is no one suitable or willing to act as a Deputy, the Court of Protection will appoint a local solicitor instead. Either way dealing with the Court of Protection will be extremely time consuming and very expensive.